Sunday 24 April 2016

Storyboarding my Title Sequence


One of the most important pieces of pre-production work in the creation of an animation is the Storyboard. For my title sequence I am going for a very specific aesthetic, inspired by the art style of the comic I am adapting, but not emulating it. I want the art style to stand on its own and be more graphic and vector based than in the comic, which is more of a balanced combination of digital and traditional techniques. One of the things I will be taking form the comic is the colour scheme. The cool blues lend an air of mystique and dread to the images and the black and white contrast really enhance this. I wanted red to be there to emphasise an object in the scene such as the moon or the apple, as they are key thematic tokens in the story. 

My title sequence will be presented as one continuous shot with a reoccurring motif of descent, which adds to this sense of dread which I am going for. As Kyle Cooper said, the title sequence should set up an audience's expectations for a story by painting a rough idea of the overall tone the story will take. The Nesting Place, which I am adapting, while suitable for a younger audience, has an overall dark tone, so I want to communicate that in as many ways as possible. The jagged rocks in the cave I feel are a nice contrast to the pointy silhouettes of the evergreen trees and the icicles which hang above the cave, reinforcing a sense of hostility in the environment.



After finalising my storyboard I decided to set it to the soundtrack I had decided upon to create my animatic in order to properly determine the pace of the title sequence and choices regarding editing. Seeing my storyboard in sequence allows for me to see what works and what doesn't, ensuring there is a cohesive flow to the sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment