Monday 10 April 2017

Studio Practice: Weekly Production Diary- Applied Animation Week 10

Secondary Character Designs

This week I created some character designs for the interview scene in our animation. Over the course of my time on Ba (Hons) Animation at LCA I have felt a little constrained by my art style, so on this project, working collaboratively, I have tried to develop my style to incorporate more elements of caricature; simplifying my designs to an extend for ease of animating. In the script, there is not a detailed description of the two interviewees whom Keith speaks to, so I based my character design off my lecturer; caricaturing his key features and exaggerating proportions for comic effect.


Elements of my character design were based off Tess' design of our main character Keith, with emphasis on pear-like body shapes and a straight posture. With many of my character designs in the past, I feel overcomplicating has been my downfall, particularly when it comes to frame by frame animation, so for this character design is was focused mainly on keeping the character simple and easy to animate. I also tried taking into account the way I approached the line work; not wanting to overcomplicate the stitching on Steve's clothing I tried to think of solutions for how to approach animating a jumper. I considered creating a pattern in Photoshop for the character's jumper however I decided an easier solution would be to just limit the extent to which my character moves in the scene, which shouldn't be too much of a problem as the scene he appears in is short and the characters are stationary in a master shot.


After creating a basic character sheet for mine and Brogan's character, whom I interpreted in my own style, I tried out some of the Kyle T brushes which we're going to be using in the final animation, to work out the best way to interpret our characters with the toolset available. I opted for simple, complimentary colour schemes, limiting the palette of each character to no more than 2-3 colours, in order to not overcomplicate the colouring process, which can be time consuming. I wanted the colouring on the characters to be tangible, but also consistent with the character sheets/designs Brogan and Tess have produced so far, so I opted for the Ultimate Pastel pack for the line work and a watercolour brush for the colouring. I made sure to make the colouring imperfect to lend ot this sense of tangibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment