Wednesday 2 May 2018

Production Blog- LoopDeLoop: 'Lucky' (Study Task 2)



As for the final live/competition brief I am required to produce as a part of Extended Practice I opted to create a Loop De Loop again, this time based around the word ‘Lucky’. It depicts a man in a hospital bed just as his bpm monitor is about to flatline, who is struck by lighting through the window, restarting his heart. It's a fairly simple concept which I threw together in a fairly short space of time. My main source of inspiration for the design was the illustrator Casey Burns who has worked on numerous indie gig posters and whose work I have drawn upon in the past with my final major project at Foundation level at Newcastle College.


What I took away from Burns and applied here was primarily the linework, which gives the impression of a rough inking. Much of Burn’s posters also incorporate a frame within a frame in order to lend to this handmade aesthetic. The colour scheme was also kept to a minimum, incorporating mainly washed-out primary colours. The character design however was a lot simpler as I wanted to try out a style of character drawing which deviates from my usual house style.


Sound design was a key aspect of the animation as it plays a large part in setting the scene, which is key to communicating the point of the animation. I used a collection of royalty free sounds which I mixed together in Premiere to build a stormy ambience to provide the backdrop for the scene. The video I submitted to Vimeo (and to competition) loops three whole times, with sound effects overlapping with the beginning and end of certain loops.

No comments:

Post a Comment