Thursday 17 December 2015

Compositing in After Effects


For the animation I have been working on in response to the studio brief: The Other Side I have made an effort to composite the shots used for my animation in Adobe After Effects. After Effect's wide variety of tools allow me more room experiment with camera movement, effects and more fluid motion in my animation. It also makes the process of composing a scene all the more easier as assets can be imported and organised onto layers with ease and changed around without much trouble.



Motion blur is one of the main features that attracted me to After Effects for this project as I wanted my animation to have more fluid movement and a slightly more filmic aesthetic. These effects also give the image more depth as it allows me to perform focus pulls with After Effect's camera blur settings. One of the shots I am most proud of in my animation, the first one I created to act as a template/vertical slice for the rest of the shots in the animation, uses a dolly zoom shot to show the boy reacting to seeing the girl for the first time. This effect would have been difficult to achieve if I had been animating solely in Photoshop as I had in previous projects, as the camera movement would have likely been more jerky and less smooth. Thanks to After Effect's Easy Ease (In/Out) options, the camera movements feel fluid and flow with the animation. Pair that with a faint motion blur and it really lends to the aesthetic, making for a more filmic and cinematic animation.


No comments:

Post a Comment