Wednesday 16 December 2015

Feedback from Interim Crit

After presenting the idea for my animation to my class I received formative feedback from my tutors and peers which I will review over the course of developing my work. A lot of the feedback I received was positive, with respondents reacting positively to the proposed art style, highlighting the use of linework to reflect texture, drawing welcome comparisons to artists such as Don Kenn and Edward Gorey, both of whom I used for inspiration. Praise was also given to the explanation I gave for how I was to manage workflow for this project. My proposed method of workflow is to create the keyframes for the characters on paper and then scan them into the computer, drawing the inbetweens digitally and adding colour and texture using Photoshop's video layers. Then after the frame-by-frame character animation is done I will composite all the individual design elements, such as backgrounds and props, in Adobe After Effects where I will animate camera movement, the movement of elements within a scene and make any changes to colour or tone, ensuring the final product is as close to the style model sheet I developed.

My tutors also proposed changes and modifications in order to propertly communicate my narrative. One such suggestion was the inclusion of a needle scratch to punctuate the punchline of the animation, however I argued that I felt this inclusion of non-diegetic sound would not be properly justified and ultimately detract from the humour of the animation, as the humour is routed in the ironic juxtaposition of the pleasant soundtrack with the horrifying visuals. Similarly the tutors questioned the abruptness of the ending, which I defended for similar reasons. The pacing of the animation is deliberately slow in the beginning as to emphasise the sudden shift to the more fast paced editing style that makes up the last 5 seconds of the animation.


No comments:

Post a Comment