Sunday 27 November 2016

Study Task: Strike A Pose

For this study task we were required to manipulate a character rig (Moom) in Maya into a series of poses which reflected various actions and emotional states, using reference imagery we produced ourselves. Reference imagery is something that is very important in animated performance. As the actions of animated characters are entirely produced artificially by an animator as opposed to by a performer (in most cases outside of performance capture) sometimes the smaller nuances which lend depth to the character are lost in the translation. I am yet to work on a project in which I am animating in Maya (unfortunately), however this exercise proved useful as a pointer for future reference in how to translate reference imagery into a convincing animated character.

Moom's controllers make manipulation fairly simple, he has IK chains for his legs, FK chains for his arms and a separate controller for manipulating the face mesh. The way Moom's controllers are laid out also provide me with a pointer for how to structure my own character rig in Maya, which is something I most definitely want to try in the future. One thing I would like to keep note of in the future is how the attribute editor can be used to manipulate the fingers of the Moom rig, something I was not aware of at the time I was creating these Moom renders.

Anxious
Exhausted
Happy
Pride

Sad

No comments:

Post a Comment