Thursday 19 October 2017

Production Blog- LoopDeLoop: Love Is Love (Study Task 2)


Final Outcome




Initial Pinterest Moodboard

As a part of Extended Practice we have been tasked with responding to four live briefs alongside
our final major project. The first of these which I have undertaken was a competition
brief for LoopDeLoop, the theme of which for the month was ‘Love is Love’.
Wanting to deviate from the usual interpretations of the phrase I opted to make my short looping
animation about the love between a parent and a child through depicting an adult Blue Jay regurgitating
food into the mouth of its child, with the aim of making it as disgusting as possible, embracing a sort of
Ren& Stimpy style of gross-out humour.




Initial Bird Design


Sketchbook drawings


Sketchbook Design Concepts



Final Bird Design

Stylistically I sought to build upon the aesthetic I used for much of my animation in second year
while bringing in elements from my main Extended Practice project which I was working on at the time.
The character designs for the bird and it’s child were primarily based around a vector-based style
with a focus on silhouettes and primitive shapes, however incorporating coloured linework which
I feel is more pleasing to the eye.



Background/Foreground Set

The backgrounds/set for the animation were primarily a carry over from the style I developed over much
of second year inspired by the work of Genndy Tartakovsky on shows such as Samurai Jack. I also took
some inspiration from a similar artist, the background designer Eyvind Earle who was a background artist
for Disney in the mid 20th century, whose work has very clearly inspired Tartakovsky's.
I also opted for a simple, cartoonish complementary block colour scheme which I felt
would be visually appealing. The sounds of the bird regurgitating food was a mix of free sounds taken
from royalty free sound websites (freesound.org), mixed together in Adobe Soundbooth;
notably the sounds of water being poured in a bucket, a human burp/gag slowed down and
pitched shifted and general environmental ambience. The effect is a sound which I feel works really well
in grossing out the viewer.




Bird Keyframes


The process of animating followed a fairly straightforward workflow, with me working from rough keys I
sketched out ahead of time in photoshop before polishing them off and working in the in-betweens after
I have the scene blocked out and timed how I want it. I find this workflow much more efficient when working
in this art style as working primarily from block colours and adding the linework after the fact necessitates
solid drawing and maintaining the character model. Character animation was done in photoshop and background
elements such as the leaf which falls from the tree when the bird brushes up against it were composited
in Adobe After Effects CC. The PSD file was imported into AE as a composition allowing me to tween
the leaf falling from the tree when the bird flies offscreen.


Business Cards (Back/Front)

No comments:

Post a Comment