Monday 17 October 2016

Study Task: Doing DUIK



I took some time this week to fulfill one of the study tasks which was to produce a short character animation using the DUIK plugin in After Effects CC. As I am already working on an animation using the DUIK tool, I took this as an opportunity to experiment a bit with another drawing style and create a walk cycle. The result is what you see below.



I started off with a few drawings in my sketchbook which later developed into a simple character design of a man in a shirt with a prominent moustache and a tie which moved as he did. The original idea was to have the character change walk cycle mid animation to show a contrast between a happy and sad state, which would be reflected in the walk cycle. However, due to time constraints and a limited number of assets to work with I went with a simple walk cycle. Assets were created in Photoshop and imported into After Effects as a composition. I did encounter a few problems, most notably when the face would not move with the head when using IK Chains in DUIK, which is an issue remedied by animating the face within a separate composition and animating it with DUIK inside another comp. Lessons like this, which are a very basic oversight, are helpful for when I come to create my final character rigs for the final animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment