Monday 24 October 2016

Studio Practice Weekly Production Diary: 16/10/2016-24/10/2016

Animatic

This week, me and Vlad also put aside time to assemble our storyboard into an animatic. While the storyboards don't really stand the scrutiny of being blown up and put in an animatic, we felt it was important to get a feel for the pace and rhythm of the animation. We edited it to one of the songs Vlad has come up with for our animation, edited down to roughly a minute and I found it has given me a much clearer idea of how the final animation is going to turn out. For better or worse...


Creative Tension and where we go forward with the production
...which brings us onto the creative tension me and my partner have been having over the production as of late. This week we were finalising how we wanted the production to play out. I was very much for assembling the animation in a 3D Space using the tools in Maya, either editing in the 2D elements in post-production, or by importing them into Maya. I've been itching the use Maya for a while now in the context of a big college project and saw this module as my opportunity, but working with a partner requires compromise and my partner did not share my same admiration, opting instead for a more 2D solution to a lot of the problems our animation will present. (Moving water, reflections, 3D Space etc...) This admittedly did lead to a few days this week where little progress was made, but luckily after a word with the tutor, we came to a sort of mutual agreement. I am going to create the 3D Assets in Maya, creating UV maps for Vlad to use so he can colour them in Photoshop. We are then going to assemble these 3D assets in 2D Space, essentially compositing them in After Effects but still retaining the 3D assets. While I am disappointed and would have like to have created a significantly larger amount of the animation in Maya, I am willing to compromise for the sake of collaboration and try to make the most of the situation. This has also motivated me to pursue 3D more vigorously as a part of my PPP and Responsive Modules.


No comments:

Post a Comment