Sunday 4 October 2015

Nursery Rhyme Studio Brief



Our first brief for Level 4 Animation is to visualise a nursery rhyme of our choice in the form of a 12-18 frame storyboard. For mine I have chosen to reinterpret the rhyme 'Incy Wincy Spider', giving it my own unique metaphorical spin. I broke down the narrative to it's most basic form and decided to work from there; a character overcoming adversity and failure. 



My narrative follows a mountain climber (who for the purposes of this explanation represents the spider in the rhyme) as he ascends a steep cliff during a blizzard. This parallels the 'incy wincy spider' who 'climbs up the water spout'.  The depiction of an 'incy wincy' character is reflected in the use of camera angles, high angles (looking down from the top of the mountain) and long shots (in which the mountain takes up a good 2/3 of the frame) which really communicate the scale of the mountain versus the man.



In developing my storyboards I used watercolour paint to create tone, though the process has proved time consuming, meaning I will likely opt for a less demanding default style for future storyboarding projects. Nevertheless, I wanted to limit the colour palette as much as possible in my storyboards so I could concentrate on tone and communicating a particular sombre mood.



No comments:

Post a Comment