Thursday 25 February 2016

Captain Character: Expression Sheet

After evaluating my previous expression sheet I decided to go back to the drawing board and redraw some of my facial expressions by hand. My previous sheet was developed digitally using a template from one of my previous drawings and as a result led to flat, robotic looking images. I scanned in sketchbook page of facial expressions and put them together into a formal model sheet in photoshop, where I coloured them and refined the line work. 


My final expression sheet addresses some of the issues I had with my previous expression sheet, namely the robotic nature of the expressions which was a direct result of using a single head as a template for the rest of my expressions. Here I tried to amend that by working on each individual head from scratch and using subtle gestures, such as a slight head tilt to compliment the facial expressions. The facial expressions themselves in this final model sheet are more exaggerated than in my previous sheet with more expressive eyebrows and a larger mouth. I simplified the design slightly also, giving the head a more angular design and a simplified hairstyle. Colour was also applied to give the expressions more polish and keep it constant with my other model sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment