Wednesday 9 March 2016

Form, Flow Force: Life Drawing Brief

The purpose of this studio brief was to explore drawing practice in relation to animation. We were required to produce a series of life drawings which fit a set of specific criteria, from drawings that communicated pushing or pulling against an object, to 20-30 minute poses of a stationary person. The collection of drawings I produced came from a combination of clothed life drawing sessions with my classmates and separate, more traditional life drawing sessions.

Rhythm is a Dancer

The first set of drawings we were required to produce were a series of 10-second poses depicting an individual moving across a space. For this I chose to use a looser form of media, a graphite stick, in order to produce drawings quickly within the strict time restraints. The drawings themselves are very simple stick figures, which I feel, while they convey basic posture, do not effectively convey any real personality, serving more as symbols of a figure rather than a figure drawing in it's own right. At the weekly life drawing sessions I attend, we often start the sessions with a series of quick 30 second poses, which helps us develop speed drawing skills, however the 10 seconds we were supposed to spend on each pose (as stated in the brief), seemed a little short to produce even a simple drawing of a figure.





Like a puppet on a string

For the second task were were required to produce a series of drawings depicting one of the 12 principles of animation; Squash and Stretch. Again I used a graphite stick in order to capture the motion within the limited time constraints of 10 seconds. Afterwards I went back and defined the shape of the posture and added shadows to give the drawings a sense of dimension, however the basic shapes were taken from drawings produced in roughly 10 seconds. I specifically asked the life model in some of the drawings for poses that communicated a sort of dance that conveyed a sense of flow and rhythm, with arms and legs outstretched and contracted with emphasis. Due to the time constraints, I did not really have time to dwell on facial features or some of the more minuet or subtle nuances of the poses, however I did try to go back and add these features back in after the fact.





Ah, Push it

For this task we were required to produce at least four drawings, each pose being held for roughly 5-10 minutes, which communicated weight being pushed against or pulling on an object. For this I wanted a broad range of different models with varying body types. In order to emphasise the weight of the models being put on an object, one of the stated requirements of the brief, I chose poses which emphasised the angle of arms and legs. The angle in which arms and legs are drawn is often one of biggest factors in determining the implied weight of the model. While I did use charcoal and a graphite stick for the sake of time management, I did go back and apply a thick outline to the drawings to emphasise weight.






Strike a Pose

The final task for this brief was to produce at least four drawings, each within a 20-30 minute period, of a stationary pose of a model. For this task, the time allotted allowed me to be a bit more experimental with my use of media. I went back over a few of my drawings after the fact with fineliner to more of the finer details, particularly round the face and hair. In this task I wanted to produce a series of drawings that demonstrated my ability to produce more realistic observational drawings and capture the more subtle and minuet details that make up the personality of a model. With a lot of the drawings I emphasised tone in my use of light and dark shading, which I feel gives the drawings a lot of depth. The drawing of the life drawing model lying on the bed is probably the best example of use of tone to convey weight and proportion out of all of my drawings and this is partially due to the context in which the figure is presented. While a lot of the other drawings are drawn against a plain background, here I made the effort to actually draw the bed the model was lying on to juxtapose the lighter tones of the models body with the darker shadows of the bed and bedsheets.






No comments:

Post a Comment