Wednesday 2 March 2016

Formalised Model Sheets and changes to colour scheme

While finishing off my Dynamic Poses and formalising my model sheets I decided to change the colour scheme of  my character from predominantly greens to a set of cooler tones. I also decided the hair should be a little lighter in keeping with these lighter tones. Much of the colours, excluding the dungarees remained the same, with a slightly lighter hue and tone in response to my peers who felt the colour scheme of my character was 'sickly' and 'too derivative of Tank Girl', the colour scheme upon which my original models were based. On the whole I am much happier with this direction, as I feel the lighter tones bring out the line work a little more and the predominantly primary colours are less garish and more aesthetically pleasing.


Development Sheet 1: My first development sheet in which I experimented with a variety of different designs. Here I really wanted to capture the essence of my character early on in development through body language and wardrobe. It is here where I feel my influences are most apparent and designs derivative of characters such as Daria and Tank Girl. There was a strange emphasis in two of these drawings which is weird, as I tend to leave them as an afterthought. In keeping with the character, I felt the need to make sure the character Cornelia was grumpy or had a disinterested look on her face in each of these, though to varying degrees.In developing these further I took elements that I felt worked well from each design and combined them in future designs, for example, the beret, the striped shirt, dungarees, smoking etc...


Development Sheet 2: Here is where I really got a feel for the posture and body structure of my character. Tall and Lanky was the aim, which I feel does come across, but the proportions had to go through some development. Initially I wanted to go for a more realistic set of pre portions with the design on the right, but opted instead to settle on the more cartoony pre portions of the character in the left. Going forward, the design on the left would serve as a template for my character moving forward, with slight alterations to clothing, but few changes to body.


Expression Sheet: My expression sheet went through another incarnation before I finally settled on this one. The head model is based off my final model sheet but I allowed myself to stretch the proportions somewhat in order to emphasise facial expressions.

Model Sheet and T-Pose: My final model sheet provided me with the framework for the keyframes I used in my turnaround. The pose farthest to the left served as a framework here too, from which I drew the other poses. The technicalities and proportions of the character were put first and foremost with this sheet as it would be from this I developed my dynamic poses, turnaround and expression sheet. The T pose also served a valuable function in providing me with a drawing to work off when creating my plasticine model and during the machine shop induction.


Dynamic Pose Sheet: These Dynamic poses, like my first development sheet were designed to convey the personality of my character through body linage and physical action. These three poses, I feel effectively convey my character as a misanthropic, grumpy young woman. I am particularly pleased with the drawing of Cornelia pouring a bottle of vodka on a potted plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment