Monday 14 March 2016

Set Series Sequence: 12 Development Images

The second part of our Set, Series, Sequence brief was to take one of the ideas from our initial 24 image responses to our chosen word and produce a series of 12 responses to that response to take forward and develop into a storyboard. For this task, in response to feedback I received saying I needed to expand my use of styles and media, I have opted to use Illustrator and explore some of the digital paintbrushes in Photoshop.


1) This first response was created in illustrator in the style of some of Saul Bass's poster designs for several Alfred Hitchcock films such as 'Anatomy of A Murderer' and 'Vertigo', depicting a businessman commuting in his invisible car. This vector-based drawing style was my attempt to broaden my output for this brief and explore different forms of media.


2) In keeping with this vector style, I created a more figurative vector-based illustration depicting a similar character type. I used my usual drawing style as a template for this design, hoping to prove that the style was transferrable to a more vector based drawing style. As is the nature of the pen tool in Illustrator, my character is defined by its sharp edges and I tried refraining from using the curve tool.


3) As many of my drawings so far have been on plain white backgrounds, I thought I would try and incorporate scenery and a background into some of my responses. Taking inspiration again from Saul Bass's vector-based style, here I have depicted a driver in a cowboy hat driving what is implied to be an invisible motorbike across the desert at sunset. The colour scheme is reflective of the setting, with one or two simple warm hues, slightly desaturated as to allow the silhouette of the character and the cactuses on the side of the road to stand out.


4) Here I reverted back to my standard drawing style, applying tone to the character with pencil. The linework was done using fine liners, with thicker lines used to emphasise the proportions and bodily shape, and with thinner lines used for some of the finer details such as facial features and the character's beard. What makes this drawing different from the rest conceptually is that I have chosen to include the steering wheel in the drivers hand. 

5) This line drawing depicts two street racers, racing their invisible cars. Like the previous drawing, the characters are holding the steering wheels to their invisible cars in their hands...


6) Here I expanded upon the idea I had earlier of a cowboy-like character riding an invisible motorcycle. However, instead of giving the character a cowboy hat I instead chose to give him a leather jacket and a pair of sunglasses, with a cigarette hanging form his mouth, a more modern take on the sort of American cowboy motif I was going for with this design.



7) Here I attempted another vector drawing, this time in an even simpler style, breaking down the different elements of the character into simple primitive shapes. Facial features such as the characters nose were simplified into basic shapes, for the nose in particular, I used a slightly warmer hue skin tone colour to differentiate it from the rest of the face. 


8) Inspired partially by the Fettle Animation style, here I opted for an raster-based alternative to the vector based drawings I have been doing up until this point. For this drawing I used some of the custom paintbrushes in Photoshop which I feel gives the flat colours a level of texture absent from the vector drawings. I tried to keep the designs of the character, contrary to my previous vector based drawings, curved in nature as this adds to the bumbling ridiculousness of the character, especially a character with a bald head. 


9) Continuing the raster-based graphic style of the previous drawing, here I chose to depict an old woman, using her walking stick to steer her invisible car. To emphasise the age of the character, I included wrinkles on the woman's face in a slightly warmer skin tone.


10) This vector based drawing builds upon some of the Saul Bass's drawings I did earlier, this time depicting a rocker type dragging a cart full of musical instruments behind him while smoking a cigarette. I didn't want to overcomplicate the design of the character, so I chose only to give him long 'grungey' hair and a pair of sunglasses, as I feel these accessories are the simplest way of communicating this.


11) This drawing depicts a driver who has lost control of his vehicle. Here I wanted to really exaggerate and caricaturise the facial expressions of the character for comic effect. This was achieved partially through the use of wrinkles to punctuate the wide eyed, open-mouth facial expressions.


12) This final drawing was created with fine liners and depicts an office worker trying to outrun a driver, who has lost control of his vehicle and is about to run him over. This drawing was sketched out in pencil before I went over it in fineliner which I feel really brings out the detail in the facial expressions, through use of thick and thin pen strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment