Wednesday 2 March 2016

Drawing Practice: Life Drawing

Throughout the year I have been attending life drawing classes on a weekly basis in order to refine my my figurative drawing skills. Life drawing is a valuable skill to have, particularly in a field such as Animation, which required the drawing and redrawing of characters as a part of the process.  Life drawing allows for experimentation is your approach to figurative drawing. I am guilty of not often enough straying too far from my comfort zone when it comes to drawing, as I prefer to work in my own style, but with life drawing, the speed at which you're expected to produce drawings necessitates experimentation with style as to properly explore form and the construction of a figure. 

Classes I attend have showcased a variety of different models of wildly varying body types, which helps us develop a board range of skills in terms of figure drawing. By being exposed to a vast array of body types, over the course of the year I have developed a greater understanding of how the human anatomy is constructed. Each session is broken down into a series of poses, each differing in length, from 1 minute poses to half hour poses. Time constraints allow us to simplify and not over think our drawing, and following that up with longer more calculated poses which result in more calculated drawings really helps in refining our drawing ability. 

Here are just a select few life drawings taken from some of my classes...


5 Minute Pose, Charcoal on paper. 


3x 30 second poses


10 Min Pose, Charcoal on Paper


Series of 5 minute poses, Pencil on Paper


10 minute pose, Pencil on paper


10 minute pose, Pencil on paper


10 minute pose, Pencil on paper

Series of 30 second poses, Pencil on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment