Thursday 5 May 2016

Studio Task: Modelling a Mug in Maya


The final task for this studio brief we were tasked with modelling an everyday object in Maya, so I chose to model a mug with the help of online tutorials and the skills I've picked up by using Maya so far. I created a primitive polygon cylinder to act as the base for my mug. The specifications as stated by the online tutorial were...

Set the Axis to Y
     Set the Radius to 2 
     Set the Height to 4
     
Set the Axis divisions to 10
     
Set the Height divisions to 3
     
Set the Cap divisions to 0

After doing that I selected the top Face by going into Face Mode and using the extrude tool, manipulated the face to shrink it down into a smaller shape, pressing 'g' once I finished and then extruding said face on the Z axis in order to hollow out the cylinder. Once I did that I used the bevel tool to round off the edges towards the top and the smoothing tool to smooth the overall object, applying a lambert texture to make it look more realistic. 

I then created the handle from a primitive cylinder, to which I applied some deformers before merging it with the rest of the mug. Once the handle was in place I combined the two polygonal objects and smoothed out the edges ever so slightly one last time. I then coloured it red and added light to give it more dimension. I used a three-point lighting setup using two spotlights of varying intensity, the main one to light the Left side and a softer one on the right. I turned on raytracing when rendering out my image in order to achieve more complex and deeper shadows.

Overall I am fairly satisfied with my mug, though I do see where there could be room for improvement had I had the time to properly follow a more advanced tutorial. I would also in the future like to create my own textures when modelling objects in Maya so as to claim more authorship over the final products. As it stands however, these three studio tasks have proved useful and garnered me a beginner's level understanding of Maya as well as insight into what the programme is capable of creatively at more advanced levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment