Thursday 5 May 2016

Studio Task: Modelling a Truck in Maya


For this module we were expected to get to grips with the basics of Maya. Maya is a piece of industry standard software which allows for both modelling and animation, so for this studio task we were expected to demonstrate a basic understanding of the essentials by creating a simple truck design with the aid of video tutorials on E-Studio. The first thing I did when I loaded up Maya, before starting on my truck design was setting up project folders. This is important as it gives Maya a place to automatically store all the various data types required in the construction of a scene.

For modelling, I used the Polygon Mode of Maya, using Polygon primitive shapes to construct the basis for my truck design. The main body of the truck was constructed from a primitive cube shape, which was then altered using the edge loop tool and Vertex mode, which allowed me to Manipulate the shape, giving the front of the top of the truck a sloping shape. I then froze this transformation and deleted its history, which allows me to move the object wherever I wish.

After creating the body I constructed a base from another primitive cube shape, however this time I manipulated and deformed it to make it more of a flat rectangular shape. I then snapped this to the body of the truck and used the bevel tool to smooth the edges around the back to give it less harsh edges. Lastly I constructed the wheels and the axis from primitive cylinders which I widened and narrowed. After that I combined the wheel and the axis into the same mesh and copied it in order to create four wheels, using the different perspective cameras to align them with the rest of the truck.

As it stands I still have quite a way to go with Maya. I am not so used to the complex interface and creating assets along three different axis'. However I do feel that by creating an object as simple as a truck, I have garnered a greater understanding of the software and can certainly see it's potential. I am particularly interested in how Maya uses ray tracing, lighting and shadows, features I stumbled across while rendering my truck. Creating lighting and camera rigs which work in 3D space is an area of Maya that does greatly interest me, so I look forward to using it again once I come to terms with the interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment