Monday 2 November 2015

Developing my Animation: Production

For producing my animation I set out to use a mix of traditional and digital media in order to properly manage workflow while also retaining the style of drawing I am most comfortable in using. As I only have a fortnight to produce the animation I want to be able to manage workflow to ensure I produce a high quality final product without sacrificing any of the quality in the interest of time.


I drew out keyframes for my characters in my sketchbook from which I would generate the in-betweens afterwards in Photoshop using a Wacom Cintiq, as this would be easier and less time consuming. I scanned these sketches into the computer and adjusted the levels and contrast in order to bring out and properly define the linework. Shots were initially composited individually in Photoshop using Video Layers, before being exported as QuickTime movies and edited in Adobe Premier Pro where it was given sound to punctuate action.


I created most of the assets in my sketchbook, scanning them into the computer and then colouring them in Photoshop. I chose a simple colour scheme with cool tones in order to create a contrast between the two stages of the animation, as blue and orange are complimentary colours. This sudden change to a contrasting tone is the basis for the humour in my animation. The sudden tonal shift is supposed to be jarring, and accompanied by the sudden change in soundtrack, it is supposed to be funny as well as surprising. 


I used this project as an opportunity to explore a range of different animation techniques such as traditional hand drawn animation for which I used animation paper. I felt this style would compliment and mesh well with the digital style of hand drawn animation.  Ultimately I didn't end up using the character on the right in my final animation but I do feel the character on the left was animated fairly well and did not clash with the other predominantly digital assets in the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment