Wednesday 25 November 2015

Developing my Backgrounds



My background designs for this animation were directly inspired by the style of Illustrator Don Kenn. While I have been taking cues from other artists when it comes to the character and creature designs, the backgrounds I hope retain their Kenn-esque aesthetic. This means a lot of cross hatching and detailed line-work to convey a sense of texture, which I feel contrasts nicely with the more simple character designs.

Backgrounds were drawn in my sketchbook using a fine liners of varying sizes. For the more intricate details in the woodwork on the fence in this background for example I used a 0.1 pen,while for the outline of the fence I used a 0.8. To add further depth and dimension to the backgrounds I outlined each individual plank of wood that mass up the fence with a 0.5 pen, which I feel adds authenticity to the image.


For close ups of over the fence I drew another section of the fence, this time in more  detail using the same process. This was due to fear that the resolution of the scanned image would not be high enough to allow for me to zoom into a particular section of the fence without it effecting the image quality.


The trees, which are designed to represent the monster's horns were also drawn separately with a similar amount of detail and using similar processes, though due to their larger scale they do not necessarily fit into the final composition without resizing which I feel has a negative effect on the aesthetic. This means I will most likely be redrawing the backgrounds for my final animation to ensure the line work is constant from asset to asset.

No comments:

Post a Comment